Thursday, April 21, 2011

Organizing my painting table

As is usual, my painting table had quickly become overrun with stuff.  Paint bottles, tools, figures, all haphazardly spread around.  My wife noted that I might enjoy the painting more if I, ahem, organized.  Now it should be noted that Zori is incredibly organized.  I, on the other hand, am not.

So, I took her suggestion.  I had an idea for a rack for paints.  We went to the hardware store and bought what I thought were going to be the necessary components.  I went again when I found I needed something else.  Then I realized I had forgotten yet another component.

We had stopped at a Big Lots store, and they had these cheap metal spice racks.  Construction has halted on the painting rack, the cheap spice racks seem to do a bang-up job.

The tools were a simple matter.  We bought some pegboard and pack of small tool holders to fit on the pegboard.

Zori came up with a solution for storing paint brushes.  She had a metal mesh container, in which she put some styrofoam.  You just insert the back of the handle into the styrofoam, and the brushs aren't getting crunched by stuff on the table.

I am currently working on some Prussian artillerists, and the grenadiers for the regiment I previously finished.  In the future I am going to paint the grenadiers at the same time.  I am already painting 24 figures, 6 more is not a big deal.

I ordered the rest of the figures I need for the Prussians and all of the Austrians.  It saved some on postage instead of ordering small amounts.

I thought I would close with a picture of my painting buddy.  I am holding her in the picture I use for my blog, but here she is in all her 18 year old glory.  My cat, Kochka.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

First regiment done

This is the first regiment in the Die Fighting project.  It is the 16th Musketeer regiment.  The 6 grenadier figures are still being painted.  The picture came out a bit odd.  I used a satin finish on them, and it seems to have some glare.

I will be starting a medium battery next.  It will be 2 guns and 8 artillerists.

I had not painted for several years.  I blocked in the colors, then painted over it with Minwax tudor stain.  I then did a dullcote and did a little highlighting.  It doesn't show too well, I think I need to be a bit more aggressive about that.  The flags are from Warflags, I am not too crazy about them, but my attempt at hand painting flags was pretty pathetic.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Die Fighting Project

I recently bought Die Fighting by Bob Jones.  It looks like what I want in a set of rules.  I am planning on raising forces for the Seven Year's War, both Prussians and Austrians.

To start, I am making essentially identical forces for each side:

4 infantry battalions @ 12 figures each                               48
1 grenadier battalion @ 12 figures                                      12
4 heavy cavalry squadrons @ 4 figures each                       16
2 light artillery with 1 gun and 4 gunners each                      8

That is 60 infantry, 16 cavalry, 8 gunners and 2 guns.

For both sides, the total is 120 infantry, 32 cavalry, 16 gunners and 4 guns.  Not an impossible task, although I have not yet finished the first 24 infantry.  When I do, they will be posted.

I am using Front Rank miniatures.  I like them, although the fact that almost all 7YW Prussians come only with coats with lapels is a bit annoying.

After the first regiment of infantry, the next project will be artillery and cavalry.  I have not yet purchased any Austrians.  I am planning on doing a Hungarian regiment, just because I like them.